SSL Certificate Fiasco

Well, I would like to blog about our recent problems regarding our expired SSL certificate and the entire situation.

Service Report

Sometime in July 2013
It was back in July 2013 that we found an unbelievable deal for a wildcard certificate. It was also suppose to be a recurring deal as well. So, we immediately snatched up the deal because managing 5+ single certificates each year was a huge hassle. Furthermore, this allowed us to bring up additional services or expand them easily without requesting yet-another-ssl-certificate.

Months Ago…
Now, let’s rewind a few months before today. It appears that the provider of our extremely cheap wildcard SSL certificate purged all accounts bought into the deal. They simply backed out and are no longer providing it anymore. This meant that we would have to find a way to either get another wildcard certificate for cheap or use StartSSL again.

July 3, 2014
When our certificate expired, we found a nice deal for a “free” wildcard certificate with the service of a VPS. I thought it would be a great idea to grab it up immediately. We would be able to use the VPS as our build server to test all of our code while obtaining a “free” wildcard certificate at the same time. We just needed to wait.

July 5, 2014
I really hate dealing with service providers on the weekend. It just sucks when things go wrong because support is extremely limited.

Anyway, it was taking way too long for our new provider to process our order and users were complaining about our expired certificate. We proceeded to use StartSSL again as a temporary stop-gap measure. We would have only a few certificates issued to cover our main services until our wildcard certificate and key is issued to us.

HOWEVER, StartSSL had shutdown their core services for “maintenance” since it was the weekend and non-work hours. They would resume their services in the following morning.

July 6, 2014
We were able to request a few certificates to restore SSL functionality to some of our services. It took a while to process each request and certificate individually, but we didn’t really care at this point. What else can happen?

July 7, 2014
Our order was finally processed and our new VPS (build server) was provisioned. We immediately took to the client area and submitted a ticket to obtain our “free” wildcard certificate. We are now waiting for a response from them.

July 8, 2014
We finally got our * certificate and installed it on all of our servers. We just hope that this isn’t an issue around the same time next year.